22 March 2012
There is something about the clean lines and lack of fuss of Scandinavian designers that is so timeless and chic it makes their design and and designers so contemporary even though some pieces were designed in the mid 20c. Even when you buy the most humble product from IKEA, it has all the elements of great Scandinavian design (perhaps not the quality or longevity).
Apart from simplicity and a lack of fuss, what makes Scandinavian design so good?
1. Use of material: the material quality of Scandinavian design is unsurpassed. Using beautifully grained woods, gorgeous leathers and fabrics and even finely machined metal, the materials are chosen for their unadorned beauty, strength and longevity.
2. Original design: you can pick a Scandinavian design from a mile away. There is something about the sinuous curves that is unbelievably seductive, just inviting you to look and touch. These are pieces that make a room interesting, even if the rest of the room were empty.
3. Construction: the way a piece fits together is almost as important as the look of the piece itself. The whole look of a chair can be ruined by a badly placed screw, or an ill fitting element.
4. Balance and 360°: the design of a Scandinavian piece always looks as good from the back and sides as from the front. No matter which direction you approach there is something to look at. It is perfectly balanced and looks fit for its purpose with no unnecessary extras.
5. It lasts for ever (or indeed a very long time) & you can’t beat 20thc scandinavian furniture for investment value. As a collector and sometime dealer, I have been watching the prices of Scandinavian furniture for over 20 years. I kick myself for not buying an Egg chair then as I see the prices go up and up. Recently, I bought a new dining table, it was an investment of a lifetime and it is, of course, Danish and made by Fritz Hansen. I have been watching this dining table rise in price for many years. It cost an small fortune, but I know, if I ever were to sell it (which I won’t!) I will get my money back and probably make some too.
You will probably notice on my store that I have a lot of Scandinavian products, primarily by GUBI and MUUTO. If you haven’t seen them, head over to the store and take a look. Both brands have been chosen because they make great products that will last for years. They are gorgeous, high quality and very reasonably priced! You can’t say better than that.